98% of basements in the United States experience some type of water damage during their lifespans. The cost of repairing flood damage varies from $10,000-$50,000. Waterproofing the foundation or crawl space of your home might not be on top of your to-do list, but it should be. Waterproofing your foundation or crawl space could save you time, money, and stress. Not sure if you need to take the preventative steps to protect your home? Here are signs that you may want to consider waterproofing solutions:
- Mold, mildew, or musty odor
- Damp or discolored areas
- Rusty metal fixtures or appliances
- Peeling paint
- Bowing or cracking on wall surfaces
- Rotting wood
Now that you know what the signs that you might need to waterproof your space are, you need solutions. Some waterproofing options include:
- Perimeter drains are designed to capture water from seeping into the walls and floor of the crawl space or basement.
- Drainage matting, like a dimpled plastic sheet, promotes drainage over the entire crawl space or basement floor.
- A sump pump will pump water out and away from the basement or crawlspace.
- A dehumidifier will dry out a damp space and will maintain a set humidity level.
- Encapsulation is the process of sealing your crawl space completely in white plastic, covering all vents, and installing an air conditioning method.
- A vapor barrier installation covers the floor in black plastic. The vents are not covered so an air conditioning method is not necessary.
If you waterproof your basement or crawlspace, many benefits will come with it. There will be greater energy efficiency, better air quality, fewer problems from insects and other pests, reduced humidity, and more. Waterproofing is much less expensive than what you would have to pay to repair damage caused by water. Contact a professional, like us at Crawlspaces and More, to begin the waterproofing process. We even offer free inspections in Atlanta and North Georgia!If you are considering one of these waterproofing solutions, we are here to help! Here at Crawlspaces and More, we provide services, such as waterproofing solutions, crawl space encapsulation, mold remediation, concrete services, and foundation repair. We are a family and veteran owned business with locations in Georgia and South Carolina. We believe our 5-Star Customer Care has made us successful and we would like for you to see it yourself. For more information on waterproofing solutions or any of our other services, please contact us!